Fitting the Pieces Together

Fitting the Pieces Together
Rhiannon Buckley
Educ 6115
2/25/2018


My first discussion in this class was titled “No One Method Covers it all” where I spoke about how I thought I learned. Notice I used the word "thought" because the terms that I use in this post were those of a layman that was not privy to the terminologies of learning. I perceived behavioral learning theory to be so limited only thinking that solely applicable to classroom learning and not seeing its applicability in other areas. I introspected and derived that the method I learned by was hands-on” and “trial and error”

However, after reading numerous articles pertaining to the numerous learning theories that have been studied and theorized and researched, I have a new understanding of how varying learning strategies, styles and techniques can be applied to provide a much more effective learning environment. The fact that every learner is different and learns differently as was stated in the first article I read “Behaviorism, Cognitivism, Constructivism: Comparing Critical Features from an Instructional Design Perspective” still stands and I think will always stand. Now I understand that learning does not occur the same in every person as well and learners can be taught to learn, to adapt and be more metacognitive. The understanding of how you learn is very important to you being a more successful student and person all around. Learning is not segregated to knowledge in books. The way we learn to run, jump and also exercise are also considered knowledge and we can enhance these abilities by being more social more adaptive and cognitive. The technique with which we use the internet to garner the information we seek falls under not just one but a few learning theories (connectivism, constructivism and some adult learning).

What I am positively sure of however is that the behaviorist theory is a way of the past because no longer are teacher spending time in classroom punishing students for the negative behaviors in hopes that they stop that behavior. Instructor are now using deeper learning techniques such as project-based learning, collaboration activities and a lot of real world problem solving scenarios to motivate learners and reward them for their efforts.

No, almost to the end of class I can say that I am a learner who falls within the connectivism and social learning theories. An instance of social learning is demonstrated by my patterning various techniques in crossfit by watching other experienced athletes doing moves. My network through friends, family and most importantly my husband whom I learn from on a daily basis support my knowledge acquisition which is a demonstration of connectivism.  Technology plays a large part as well in my learning style as well. During this class I learned how to create a blog and am very impressed with learning about RSS feeds even though my husband and brother in law informed me that is old technology and is no longer being used. I used various apps on my mobile phone for learning, creating, organizing and recording information.  Social learning apps such as Feedly (a blog app), Facebook, Pinterest, Youtube and Google help with not just learning new information but help with practicing by constantly being able to recall information. 

My eyes are not open to lots more strategies and techniques to foster learning not only with my own children but also with my class of adult learners.


Ertmer, P. A., & Newby, T.J. (2013). Behaviorism, Cognitivism, Constructivism: Comparing Critical Features from an Instructional Design Perspective, Performance Improvement Quarterly.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What I have Learned - Learning Theories

Teaching the Brain