What I have Learned - Learning Theories


Coming to the end of this Learning Theory and Instruction course, I am so much more knowledgeable about the various options available to learn. The information that I have garnered from this course allows me to better evaluate my learning style and equip me to learn more and utilize additional learning styles.

This was a stark contrast compared to when I started this class, I had no idea that there were so many theories/thoughts surrounding something so simple as learning. My eyes were slowly opened to a whole new world of learning theory strategies, styles and techniques which I had no idea were separate concepts all pertaining to learning. Being intrinsically motivated to learn everything I can about an instructional designer, I was preparing myself to read the most boring of textbooks and articles. I was highly surprised when the material presented was so very interesting and applicable to my current role as an instructor for adult learners.

I was even more surprised that there exist so many different learning theories and that the industry of learning was so in depth. There is behaviourist theory all the way to adult learning theory with the varying iteration in between. I was also surprised by how easy it was to create and maintain a blog. Prior to this class I perceived blogging as something that was very diminutive as in a Facebook rant about not being able to park your car close to the store.

Social learning was also the most enlightening topic when I realized that learning via my network was a “thing” asking people in my network for suggestions on recipes or how to wash my kid’s soccer cleats without destroying them or making them shrink. This course brought me the understanding that social learning theory is one of the theories I have attributed to how I learn. And yes, I did say one, because as is typical of everyone, there is no one size fits all theory of learning. The introspection that was involved in understanding the difference between theories, strategies, and styles was very invigorating having been ignorant of the fact that there were completely different.

Now when I am instructing and planning for my course I am armed with the knowledge that adult learners even though interested “because they signed up for the class” still must be additionally motivated to complete the classes because they are distractions which can dissuade a learner from staying motivation. So emulating Keller’s ARCs system is being adopted in my plan when contemplating class designs. So technology assisted tools such as ice-breakers, simulations are being suggested a lot more to ensure that learners become more motivated in my classes. This system is also great to help with narrowing down all the information, so we are able to create the best possible materials for learners. I have also learned how to become aware of the various methods and styles that learners are better able to grasp information especially since learning is online. As such becoming more cognizant to change tactics should it become necessary if I realized that one method is not working. A key point that I also have was tremendously enlightening came out of this course is that we should not consider just trying to design learning for all the varying styles but consider teaching all the styles to learn in the way that you would consider is the best method to teach  the material.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teaching the Brain

Fitting the Pieces Together